Saturday 28 June 2014

Welcome to Embrace the Weather

Hello to one and all.

First may I say thank you for stopping by and having a look at this new blog. Secondly, welcome to Britain and some of the amazing places the British Isles have to offer.

The reason I have decided to start writing about some of the great places in England & Wales is purely for selfish reasons. I wanted a little platform on the internet to capture my own thoughts and photographs of days out and holidays to share with family and friends but also thought people may also receive a little bit of inspiration from where I have been.

I need to be clear early on, I have no problem with people going to other countries. I myself am pretty well traveled having spent nearly two years in Greece, six months in Egypt and various trips and holidays all over the globe. So why write about England & Wales? Why not write about Greek islands and the Pyramids? Well, every time I have spoken to people from outside the UK about home they always reel off the same old places they have visited. London, Oxford, Edinburgh, Stonehenge etc etc. I think to myself how much they are missing out?

On top of this, Brits themselves seem to deny themselves the pleasure of seeing things that are practically on their doorstep. I have been very guilty of this. I live in a place called Studley in the Midlands and yet it took me years to actually visit a stunning house called Coughton Court. this is a twenty minute walk from my house and when I did get around to seeing it, I was blown away - beautiful. I will probably find some time later on to write about what is on my doorstep however, here is the actual motivation behind the blog.....

"I hate the weather"

"Its too cold"

"Its too wet"

and when it is sunny......"Its to muggy"

So, these people decide they want to pay a fortune to go sit on a beach in some far off place just because it may rain a bit in the British summer.

Now for those of you who pick your holiday location because there is something you genuinly want to see fair play to you. I have hoping to convert the ones of you that book something because it is cheap and hot. For those who can't decide between Spain and Turkey I will ask if they whether they want to see the Alhambra or Ephesus. Uh, I just want the sun.

Well, save some money and look at what is in your own backyard. You will be surprised. 

Yes, take an umbrella but also some suncream. Our weather does change but this blog is not about that. It is about history, tradition and genuinely beautiful scenery.

I will be posting about the first location soon. I hope this has been enough to grab your attention and hopefully inspire you to either visit the locations I write about or at least pay more attention to what is on your own doorstep.

One final point, all photographs on this blog are my own. The picture used as the background to this blog was taken from Tintagel Castle in Cornwall during a short break I took a couple of years back.

And as I mentioned my home of Studley, here is a picture taken of the field right by my house. And the sun was no where in sight........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your memories of this location or suggest other places we can write about. Happy Exploring!