Wednesday 2 July 2014

West Bay Dorset - Not a murder in sight!

Simplicity and everything you want for a perfect relaxing seaside break. This probably sums up my experience of West Bay in Dorset perfectly.

Due to the popular ITV Drama Broadchurch, West Bay will probably gain more visitors wanting to see where the program was filmed however it is already a firm favourite with British holidaymakers. When I mentioned I was going for a weeks break here everyone I spoke to practically gushed with nostalgia at great family holidays in the area.

Ok I thought, let me see if it lives up to its reputation.

The imposing cliffs of West Bay form part of the World Heritage area of the Jurassic Coast

My intention for the weeks break was to spend some quiet time recharging the batteries with the family so I had not planned any elaborate trips out. I was staying in the Parkdean holiday park located right by the harbour so was quite pleased that everything I needed was a short walk away.

Around the harbour there are little kiosks selling fish and chips but it was the ice cream 'volcano' I fell for. Imagine a doughnut covered in whipped ice cream and you have a little insight into my weeks diet.

Feeling sluggish after a day or so indulging around the harbour I set myself the mission of tackling the cliff walk heading east towards Burton Bradstock. The east cliff (pictured above) looked steep enough however I was able to haul my unfit frame to the top to start the walk.

Looking down to West Bay from the top of East Cliff

I was actually blessed with beautiful sunny weather when I began the walk and from high the sea certainly took on a stunning azure blue. Again enough proof that coastal vistas such as this are not exclusive to the Med.

The walk begins with the sea on your right and Bridport golf course on your left. It is quite an undulating walk but the views are absolutely worth it. As you climb down the other side of East Cliff you then head up what appears to be an even steeper section over the top of the next cliff top. Don't worry too much as this one has steps to aid the ascent and descent.

You are then presented with a compact but stunningly located caravan park which is located right on the beach. The walk is well worth doing but remember in hot weather take plenty of water and cover your head to the sun. In the winter months check for local reports of cliff falls as parts of the path may become dangerous.

While you are walking also remind yourself that you are actually strolling through a World Heritage site. The Jurassic coast in Dorset enjoys the same elevation in world significance as the Taj Mahal, Great Barrier Reef or the Great wall of China. Again, you don't have to travel half way round the world to visit somewhere as important to world heritage to receive UNESCO protection.

View back down the cliff path

So, back in to West Bay itself. I mentioned earlier that a certain ITV drama was filmed here. During my visit the area again was taken over by film crews. In fact, as a began my cliff walk I was stopped by the beach by a security man who said they were filming on the beach. Apparently I was welcome to watch but not allowed to take any photographs. When I asked what they were filming (in a hope to engage the gentleman in friendly conversation) I was snapped at that he could not tell me. 

Anyway, I won't spoil the surprise and I cannot possibly confirm a second series of Broadchurch. 

I did however see David Tennant.......at a distance.....talking on the phone. 

Although this looks a good distance, he very nearly took my head off when I was having a water break on top of the cliff. The area is quite popular with this sort of thing.

West Bay is really perfect for its absolute simplicity. It is unspoilt by tacky gift shops and has kept a certain community charm. The harbour appears to be busy and there are a handful of reasonably priced boats offering fishing trips or a quick half hour 'blast' down the coast.

Whether you use West Bay as a base to explore the surrounding area (The famous Chesil Beach leading to Portland Bill is not far) or just visit for the day you will certainly find your own spot to unwind. West Bay seems to make it impossible to do anything else.

The Harbour area

The River Brid looking away from the Harbour

For further information about visiting West Bay and the town of Bridport visit http://www.visit-dorset.com/about-the-area/towns/bridport-and-west-bay

Happy exploring







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your memories of this location or suggest other places we can write about. Happy Exploring!